View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I have been hearing from a lot of people I know who have lived in Toronto that you actually need a car to live comfortably there (at least if you don't live downtown), and that the transit system isn't all that great or extensive. Not sure if that's just because they're Canadian and aren't used to US style cities, but I was really surprised to hear that given that's it's portrayed as having NYC/London style coverage on this forum.
It depends on your expectations. Much of metropolitan Toronto is post-war suburbia. If you expect to make regular trips to the local big box mall to pick home renovation material or to pick up the weekly order of groceries, you are going to need a car.

However, the bus network within Metropolitan Toronto is extensive and frequent. For example, Route 53 Steeles which follows the northern boundary of Toronto operates on a 5 minute frequency during the day, more frequent at rush hour and even between 1 am and 2 am is still running on a 10 minute schedule.

Toronto has pretty extensive network of all night buses as well.

It isn't New York or London with a massive network of subways, but transit is as good as almost all other North American cities and better than most.