View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 12:08 PM

Taken from the: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=150074&page=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
It's networks like this one that makes me wish Philadelphians would sit up and take notice that our system SUCKS! Compliments on Utah on being ahead of the game. If the transit infrastructure expands along with city size, I think it's hardly a brash prediction on my part that the Salt Lake region is a rising Western urban center and will probably eclipse Los Angeles (whose problems go far beyond transit problems; you can't live where you can't drink--water) sometime in the next fifty years.

P.S. Drew, there is a well-known principle in transit theory why building more roads does not relieve congestion. It's called "triple convergence," and in short, it states why building more roads makes roads more congested. You might want to Google it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
hammersklavier:

1. SLC deserves a lot of credit for expanding its system, but let's not get carried away. It will take them decades to match what Philadelphia already has.
Actually, it's going to take allot less than decades for the metro Wasatch to match and surpass many of the cities on this continent as far as mass transit. The prospect of the trolley's phenomenon is hitting the Salt Lake Valley portion of the metro in a big way. Yes, billions have and continue to be spent on new heavy commuter and light rail lines. However, the real kicker seems to be developing by way of the return of the Trolley. City/County leaders and the citizens in general are extremely receptive to an extensive trolley system. It is assumed that the first trolley lines should begin construction shortly in the Sugarhouse area. However, civic leaders are so giddy after their recent return from their European Trolley tour, that there is talk and planning of additional lines in various locations to follow suit as soon as physically and financially possible.

I'm not sure that cities such as Phili or many metros for that matter have the fiscal or political will to implement extensive trolley systems like Salt Lake is now enthusiastically embracing. Each group, whether it's Metro developers, residents, or political decision makers see the Trolley as both much more economical to establish and lined with $$$/profit development potential. At the same time, residents and urban planners alike love the seemingly intimate engagement of the Trolley and the village cores that they create.

It has gotten to the point where what would often be a NIMBY situation elsewhere, is a HYIMBY(Hell yes in my backyard) situation here. Recently, even with light rail, cities have even been known to squabble and compete over who gets what TRAX station along lines currently under construction

Last edited by delts145; Mar 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM.