View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Thank you for you your photos and comments on Saint John - it's always nice to hear what others think of one's home. It sounds like your visit was quick but I'm glad you had the chance to wander around the Uptown for a bit and soak in the architecture, as that's where our city really shines. We certainly haven't been free of urban design mistakes over the years, but overall our core is intact and walkable, which is a blessing for a city our size.

The Market Square Boardwalk doesn't really wake up until June, but once the summer hits there's lots of programming to keep the place busy. Its numerous patios are a great hangout spot at the end of the workday.

That white protrudy box at the base of one of our towers is actually our city's Council chamber - the building itself is City Hall. Interestingly enough, it used to be painted black as per below:

Canada Day, Market Square by Seeing Is, on Flickr

Our City Market, though we're quite proud of it, does have a bit of an identity crisis as it plays triple duty as a local farmers' market, downtown lunch spot, and a tourist market. A strategic plan is in the works that will hopefully lead to further improvements inside and out.

It's too bad you didn't have time to stick around for a meal as the Uptown restaurant scene is actually pretty good, indeed at the risk of making an SSP cliché, I'd even say it "punches above its weight!" Send a message if you do indeed visit again and I'd be happy to give some recommendations.

The development of our waterfront has definitely been lagging - part of the issue is that so much of it is tied up under Port ownership, making those sites difficult or impossible to transition to urban development. Right now, all eyes are on the former Coast Guard Site as we're finally starting to see some movement there with the proposed new home for the New Brunswick Museum. The rest of the site is slated for mixed-use development (they're currently seeking a private sector partner) and the all-important waterfront promenade extending around the perimeter. I'm praying things are executed well and it turns into a district we can be proud of.

Most of us are excited about the direction the city, and especially the Uptown, is heading. The last decade or so has seen many upper floor residential conversions and more and more interesting businesses opening up. The central Uptown census tract grew by 15% in the last Census, the fastest growing CT in the entire CMA. Several exciting and ambitious mixed-use developments are currently in the works, and those loft conversions are continuing apace. Are there issues? Of course. Most other inner-city neighbourhoods have not shared in the growth of the central Uptown yet and are quite run down - you may have seen some of this on your drive out of town along Waterloo Street - and generational poverty is a persisting issue. However, a neighbourhood planning process is currently underway for the entire Central Peninsula (with more plans to come for the North End and Lower West Side) that is looking to tackle local issues and best navigate the change that's underway. In spite of the challenges of a small, slow-growth and very unequal city, I remain optimistic about the future of Saint John.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you enjoy your next - hopefully longer - visit!
Awesome, thanks for the info Fischbob! I see downtown is actually called Uptown. Interesting about the city hall, I really needed more time to poke around all the nooks and crannies. I'm a bit gutted that I wasn't able to spend more time there. Same with having a proper meal - the plan was to stay overnight, but delays meant we ended up staying in Fredericton the night before. Next time I'd like to devote at least three days to Saint John alone - hmm.. think I'll have to look for a conference or training course there coming up!

Punches above it's weight, lol.. we need a better term, that one does feel overdone!

In the summer Market Square would be an exceptional place to have a drink after work with dozens and dozens of others on a nice summers evening. Thirsty for a cold one just thinking about it.

I've been reading up a bit on SJ after getting back, I'll be following the museum and waterfront development to see how it goes. I hope the museum does not block of access and views to the water though, opening up those vistas is key.

I'm hoping the plan to add 3,000 new residents doesn't take 30 years though, maybe over 20 - but I get downtown (uptown) living can be a hard sell when you can still get a spacious house for an affordable price.

Thanks for you sharing your perspective on the challenges too. It feels like and up and coming place, and sooner or later people will realize the lifestyle advantages the area has over much of Canada.