View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 1:17 PM

Hooray! Another lifeless glass rectangle.

If it wasn't on the river, I'd be happy with it as infill. However, with that site as prominent as it is, I'd opt for a more daring approach. A respectfully polarizing design is preferable to an apathetic slab of a building in just about every case - including this one.

The previous design inspired discussion, and would have been the most talked about building in Chicago since Aqua or the Spire. It would have been a fantastic anchor on river tours and an unflinching manifestation of the real estate crash in physical form.

This new design looks like any ol' SCB Econobox® rough draft.

I can only hope One South Halsted, LVDA's DePaul project, and E+W University's building all get built soon so we can have some well-articulated and energized highrises crop up. (Any more I'm missing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, we still have a rendering reveal for Wolf Point that should be coming up soon. Of course, I can't remember the last time Pelli did anything daring like a huge cantilever...
I heard some chatter out-of-the-blue from an architect working on the Wolf Point proposal. Sounds like there is some measurable forward movement on it...he was excited. Hopefully something is made public sooner rather than later.

I'm looking forward to the renderings, but the pessimist in me says that it will be yet another ultra-prime riverfront property spoiled by a nearly featureless glass box. Time will well.