View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 10:27 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Two new models finished!

First up, the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong, China.

This one is a bit further down the list on the world's tallest but seems to be a popular one so I got to it sooner. Pretty basic, generally speaking, but fun angles all around! Solidworks screenshots below:

I went with vertical impressions for the windows versus horizontal ones like most of these 3d printable models. I felt it represented the form better in contrast with the diagonal framing, especially on the angled top portions. In order to represent the fact that the front and rear entrance are at different levels, I created the sloping features along the sides of the building as shallow extrusions leading from the front to the back so the ground level at the rear would match its real life location but the model itself would maintain the 2mm base feature - otherwise, the back entrance would just be floating in the air.

Next is the Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai, China - the third tallest of the 'big three' under the International Commerce Center and Shanghai Tower. These three are referred to as the 'past, present and future', respectively.

This one took some time to get the proportions just right since the stepping in and tapering out of the many layers makes it difficult to find the right position of features in relation to each other, especially near the top. Here are the Solidworks screenshots:

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Mar 7, 2017 at 4:57 AM.