View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I think it's very ambitious of this guy to try and start a league in Canada, and I genuinely hope he succeeds, but I certainly wouldn't blame him nor fans of cricket in Toronto for simply wanting to acquire a MLC franchise. The average Joe who watches cricket in Toronto isn't thinking about issues of national or civic identity. They're just thinking, "I wish I could watch good competitive cricket in my town." I don't buy the theory that Toronto prefers American leagues to Canadian leagues.
I think Canadians in general prefer to belong in American leagues.

People from outside Toronto will criticize Toronto because, unlike Arctic outposts like Edmonton, Toronto actually has a chance of getting into American leagues.

That said, MLC is dead.

As a cricket fan, I've thought of how a T20 Cricket League could be done in North America. The only population centers with enough people from South Asia, England and Australia that could support a team with a few million in payroll would be: Toronto, NYC, DC on the East and Vancouver, San Francisco/San Jose, and Los Angeles. Beyond that, there's possibility for Chicago, Dallas and Houston.