View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Trying to recreate a style means its faux, we can't do Georgian or Victorian properly anymore without spending obscene amounts of money. The best thing developers and architects can do is design and build contemporary, elegant simple structures. Some might find them boring, but the time of ultra ornate stone buildings is long dead.

As for your modern example, yes something radical like that would be nice, but you need to factor in cost and return. It would not make sense to build something radical and expensive like that in such a small space in a city the size of Halifax.
Again, to restate the point of my post, imagination shouldn't cost obscene amounts of money - a skilful architect should be able to add visual interest on a budget.

And also again, this is only my opinion. The rest of the city might think that this proposal is a beautiful design and so be it if they do... I don't expect everybody to agree with my ideas.

FWIW, I did originally say that it won't be any worse than what is there at the moment, but just that Spring Garden Road deserves better than this proposal as one of Halifax's busiest and most influential downtown streets. If we want to take it up to the next level as the centre of fashionable shopping in the city, then we need to excel beyond the status quo.

Or, we could just marinate in our complacency and build glass boxes...