View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcphil View Post
West Chester has been pretty good about planning for a dense, urban future. They partnered with a firm to create 5, 10, and 20 year plans for the borough which includes changing the auto centric part of town on the way in into a cbd2. They are working to incentivize building with urban design there instead of sprawling outward. Also have a meeting this month about completely changing the zoning code for the CBD which will assist two major projects proposed in town.
This is great, it is a trend I think will only continue to gain momentum across PA, starting most specifically within SEPA. What is happening is that these places are starting to realize the towns that are thriving are encouraging, denser development, reinvestment and altering the way they look at planning. For example you will notice at the fringe of many of these towns, the development pattern from the past 20 years was, to promote auto centric sprawl at the edge of the core, rather than promote an extension of that denser, mixed use fabric which is what makes all these places unique, vibrant and appealing. Finally I think the trend is slowly to push back to the traditional way.

Many places are starting to recognize regional trends and say: wait a minute. If it is working for them over there in Media. I think we need to get on board and try this too!

A lot of it is what the other poster said. Many of these small boroughs are over governed and have dated leadership with very little 'vision'.

I will give my hats off to Phoenixville as another great comeback story.

I also agree aesthetics and design are important, and the more they can be valued, the more likely you will see reinvestment really pay off.