View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
The athletic department needs to raise $15 million from donors over the next five to seven years to increase its annual operations budget from $8 million to more than $20 million. When fully implemented, the student approved athletic fee will generate approximately $15 million annually.

According to Hickey, The UT System could grant permission to proceed by mid-September.

The university needs at least a $10 million budget to operate a football program as well as the other 16 sports in its current conference, the Southland Conference. But that's approximately half as much as the budgets of Conference USA, a next level conference of metropolitan area universities of similar size and academic stature as UTSA.
These paragraphs kind of confused me. Do they need to raise $15 million annually or just initially until the new athletic fees kick in? Are they saying it costs $10 million to operate a football program plus the $8 million they currently budget for existing sports, or would a football program in the Southland Conf really only require a $2 million budget?

I guess it makes sense if you say: Current $8 million + $15 million generated by new athl fees = $23 million, which is in the ballpark of what they'd need to operate in C-USA. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.