View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'd disagree with a couple of points in your post which I've bolded. The number of SB vehicles turning left onto Waneskewin is exactly what obscures the sightlines at the intersection. As for the number of vehicles making that turn, I'd estimate that approximately half of the SB Highway 11 vehicles are turning onto Waneskewin during the morning commute.

At that time of day, I'd say that it's virtually impossible to safely cross Highway 11 from east to west all in one shot, as you suggest and not much better if you stop in the median area, as you still can't see.

It's just a terrible situation during peak traffic flow. Given that Highways are not going to install traffic lights it sounds like a reduced speed limit through there will be the most likely change. It won't fix the problem, but should somewhat lessen the carnage.
I can agree with all your points. I drive that stretch about once a month but never during morning rush hour, and even then I have witnessed numerous bad judgements. Not long ago I looked up vehicle counts (from 2014 IIRC) and the stretch of hwy11 south of that intersection was 18500 cars daily, and 6000 on Waneskewin between 71st and hwy11) and I imagine nearly all of those 6000 made the left off of hwy11.

I just wonder why the director of highways doesn't see it the same way as you or I.