View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Even though this statement is likely true it seems funny that anytime we think something won’t happen the opposite occurs. After D-Condo and 300 Assiniboine were announced everyone was excited and had the same thought that we would likely not see any more large scale office construction in Winnipeg, then bam...TNS pops up with a sizeable new office building. Remember the new energy code spelled the end of glass buildings downtown.....again TNS and 360 Main reclad go all glass. I think we are full of some surprises yet.

I do agree that likely most taller structures in Winnipeg will be residential, but so are things in Toronto and Vancouver...they are turning out pretty good.
I hope you're right... I hope there are some positive surprises waiting in the wings. But the office market in Winnipeg has been weak for quite some time, at least as far as large-scale construction goes. That's not to say that it was all doom and gloom since the 80s, though... during the 90s and 00s, a fair number of heritage buildings were converted into modern office space. Something like the old Free Press building reno and expansion in 1999 would have been a new 10-storey building in other cities.

There will always be that market segment willing and able to pay for the latest and greatest and my impression is that's what we're seeing with TNS. But yes, sometimes you get an out of the blue surprise like Hydro, which suddenly decides to build a spectacular new tower. Hopefully it won't be too long before something like that happens again.