View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2004, 9:47 PM
Me?!?

Yeah that accident is very sad. That stupid bitch was drunk too. I'm soooo sick of DUIs around here.

Nice to hear about the brewer's fest!!! I sure hope they make that an annual event. From the sound of it, they are going to.

My weekend really sucked, but thanks for asking anyway LOL On the birght side, this weekend is going to be fun at least. I am going back to Hershey Park on Sat. for the 2nd FREE time this year. :carrot:

SMOOTH SAILING

Area commuters to benefit from road work lull

Major midstate road work to brake for summer

Monday, June 21, 2004
BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

Commuting is about to feel like an out-of-body experience.

The official arrival yesterday of summer found midstate motorists relatively free of inconvenient, disruptive road work.

Sure, road crews will be out around the region in months to come, but their work order should not lead to the detours and logjams caused by the extensive highway work of the last decade.

One reason? Most of the major projects have been completed.

Nightly and weekend closures of the M. Harvey Taylor Bridge? Done. Repairs to Eisenhower Interchange ramps? Done. Resurfacing on Interstates 83 and 283 on the East Shore? Done. Resurfacing Route 15 on the West Shore? Done.

The Dauphin Bypass? Built. The Winding Hill Interchange on Route 15? Open.

"Many of our major projects have wrapped up or are wrapping up," said Greg Penny, spokesman for the District 8 office of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

The only major project uncompleted is the rebuilding and widening of Interstate 81 on the East Shore between the Susquehanna River and the split with I-83.

Even so, work on the main line is expected to be wrapped up before August.

Crews will, however, continue work on a $1.5 million project to replace the expansion dams across the George N. Wade Bridge of I-81.

The work will involve lane shifts and additional ramp closures and will continue through the summer, Penny said.

Work is to begin in September on a $6.4 million project to resurface Route 114 between the Carlisle Pike and I-81 in Silver Spring Twp.

Otherwise, it should be relatively smooth sailing around the capital region.

Not so for Lebanon County: PennDOT is spending $54.6 million to rebuild I-81 between I-78 and Schuylkill County.

Single-lane traffic already has caused weekend delays. Even I-78 eastbound is down to one lane at the juncture with I-81.

It's a similar situation in Franklin County, where crews are building a new Exit 17 along I-81 and widening Route 30 to five lanes between the borough and Fayetteville.

The I-81 stretch between Scotland and the Cumberland County line could go back under the jackhammer this summer as crews repair cracks in the concrete.

In Lancaster County, crews are working at night to resurface Route 283 between Elizabethtown Road and the Salunga exit.

All in all, the good news is that the construction lull should continue through next year.

The bad news, according to Penny: The hiatus won't last forever.

The $85.8 million job to revamp the intersection of Routes 581 and 15 on the West Shore is slated for 2006.

And work on Route 283 between Route 341 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike won't get under way until 2008.

"They may be several years away, but they will come soon enough," Penny said.

For now, commuters can just enjoy the relative peace -- and improved roads and bridges.

"The last 10 years, despite all the traffic jams people have had to endure, have been very good for south-central Pennsylvania," Penny said.