View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2004, 3:39 AM
joining the rail club

/\ lol. i know...i read this article in the paper on Monday and i remember thinking to myself that if most of the municipalities have to endorse this, then it's gonna a long hard road to urban status. IMO, the western Cumberland municipal govt's should not be bitching about getting their fair share. the added money the county will recieve should go to benefit county projects that will benefit the most constituents. fact is, 85% of Cumberland residents live in Carlisle or point east. most of the county's population lies in areas of giant sprawl-like suburbs closer to Harrisburg. so why should half of this money even reach the western part of the county, when most of the residents dont' live there? it's all politics.

i lived in Shippensburg borough and twp for 2 and a half years when i was going to school there. i like western Cumberland county a lot and it's a great place to live with many benefits...but many of the municapl gov'ts pride themselves on being anti everything. they are slow to change and even slower to accept outsiders opinions...and now they want more money for their troubles. i don't doubt the need for more financial help with western muncipal projects; however, the county should not be bound by the hands on where this money should go.

anyway, i'll stop ranting now. i haven't been able to find info on how many PA counties have urban status??? i'm just curious