View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Desperation is right. NJ has lately been offering some obscene tax incentives for companies. If I were a company I would definitely take a serious look—you are right next door to NYC but with huge financial incentives. 20 years from now people who didn’t take such deals may look back with regret
NJ has to do this, because it is a high cost state that is full of mature companies in suburban office parks, which are more likely to shrink employment due to consolidation or decline than add jobs in the area.

And with good reason - younger professionals in NYC do not want to live in or commute to NJ’s traditional employment centers. They might move to Hoboken or JC, but only to save on rent with a quick commute into Manhattan. And these are urban neighborhoods.

Perhaps everyone is currently overstating the extent to which the desires of city-loving Millennials are driving the agenda at large companies, but you at least need to recognize that their (our) preferences, or at the very least tolerances (based on objective evidence) are very different from your own.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov