View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Induced demand has little to do with population growth. It has more to do with the travel distances.
I would suspect travel time/cost much more than distance. But my point is, if freeways and controlled access arterials like the north parkway induce more traffic to use it (including cars, buses and even cyclists) then we know they are designed well.

Am I correct in suggesting that your concern is that too many private vehicles prevents a good transit system? I think if transit was good enough to get commuters from University Heights to the North Industrial areas, they'd be using it already. Having this bridge isn't going to encourage more of those who would use it to stop buying bus passes and make car payments instead.

Now if you were talking about appropriating swaths of developed urban spaces (like what was common in many American cities in the 50's) and putting a freeway through it to get cars from the burbs to the city centre, I would agree completely that the induced demand would be a real barrier to a good transit system. But dense urban centres are not at all the same as industrial areas.