View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hulk's in town!
Siskowic could be an incredible find for Tabbies

June 11, 2008
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator

Another Hollywood remake of the Incredible Hulk, this one starring Edward Norton, opens in theatres Friday.

Movie buffs will recall that parts of this film were shot in downtown Hamilton.

And the complete-Hamilton version, starring Cameron Siskowic, will be marking its Steeltown premiere tomorrow night at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Cameron Siskowic?

"Just call him the Hulk," Hamilton head coach Charlie Taaffe quipped last week when asked about the rookie linebacker prospect out of Illinois State.

"He is a physical specimen," agrees GM Bob O'Billovich who lured the 6-foot-2, 225-pounder across the border.

The San Diego native takes the ribbing in stride. And he has heard a lot of it.

"I get it a lot. Taaffe calls me the Hulk. The defensive backs call me the Iron Man. The wide receivers call me Latimer from (the 1993 football themed movie) The Program.

"I don't know if I take pride in it. I take a lot of crap from the guys," he laughs. "I guess when you try and eat 400 grams of protein a day and you try to be real disciplined in the off-season and you work out as hard as I do, I guess it's nice to be called something funny like the Hulk."

With his bulky biceps, a solid six-pack for abdominals and close-cropped hairstyle, Siskowic looks like a guy who might tear your head off. On the field.

There is no doubt Siskowic has enjoyed his share of protein shakes and lifted eons of iron. But he brings a lot more to the table than just brawn. He's physical. But he can track an opponent with impressive quickness.

"This game, with all the speed and covering the wide receivers and having so much open space, I'd like to be at 220 and be as big as I possibly can, as strong as I possibly can but most important as fast as I possibly can. That's where I want to distinguish myself, being a fast linebacker and having versatility to play different positions," he said.

O'Billovich had Siskowic on his radar since last season when the recruit had a tryout with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Minnesota Vikings. When the latter scenario failed to pan out, he set his sights on Canada.

Siskowic, who has the words 'persevere and adversity' tattooed on his right biceps, knows his share of both. He lost his father when he was 17. And he's a cancer survivor.

At age 15, doctors discovered a cancerous lump in his lower back. It was eventually removed but not before a few scary weeks when Siskowic wondered if the lump might spread.

"It changes the way you look at things. And it really makes you look at the one life you have to live. And it makes you want to take advantage of every opportunity."

And that's just what he sees in Steeltown. An opportunity to find a football home. A permanent home. He hopes he has found it.

"You know when you get to a town and you just have a feeling. You're just meant to be there. When I went to Illinois State, I had that feeling. And that's what I get here, I get a real hometown feeling. Everyone is so nice.

"All I heard coming into Hamilton was that it is a steeltown, the fans are great. Hess Village and the different places to go and places to eat, I've really enjoyed myself.

"I really want to play in the CFL for the rest of my career, to be honest with you. If I can spend the next 10 or 12 years here, I would be the happiest football player in the world."