View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickTO View Post
Amazing post. Wish you could do the same drawing for all other potential cities mentioned, with the population (could you add the sq km?) ...

Nice. It's time for Vancouver to join the big leagues. I'd give it Richmond to cross the 1M mark
Unfortunately I just don't know enough about other cities to do things like this. I've had this drawing on my computer for a while, so I just threw it up to help explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
The Vancouver area would stand to use some amalgamations, but I'm wondering if your proposed Surrey might be a little too big and spread out? What about North Delta/North Surrey (called Surrey), South Surrey/White Rock (called White Rock) and Cloverdale/the Langleys (called Langley)?
I've thought about that too, but given how spread out the are already, I fugred it would work for my example for now. Surrey already has most of the "White Rock area," while Langley has Aldergrove which is really far. I like your idea, but I wouldn't know what to do with Aldergrove, and how to split up the farmland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Can only imagine the shitfit Langleyites would have after realizing they are now part of Surrey.

I am completely anti-north shore amalgamation. CNV has nothing in common with DNV and West Van, you can say goodbye to any liberal progressive pro-density voice on the north shore if that were to happen.
North Delta would have a shitfit being lumped in with Surrey too. The name is toxic. But as far as lines on a map goes, it just makes sense.

I anticipated you responding, and so made sure to include that disclaimer about not knowing anything about the North Shore specifically for you hahah. I agree with you if that's the case; an urban mindset cannot be lost through amalgamation. It's why I wouldn't merge Coquitlam into Vancouver.