View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:29 PM
JDSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
The implementation of commuter rail precludes light rail from happening. In other words, for light rail to "finally happen", we first have to admit that commuter rail was a disaster; tear up all the old stations; tear up all the old track; and build new LRT-capable double-track and infrastructure like we would have done in 2000.

Y'all wonder why I have to keep posting this. commuter rail is NOT, nor can it ever be, a step towards light rail; it is, in fact, about six steps the other direction.
I disagree. Commuter rail can live harmoniously with light rail. Commuter rail serves long distances while light rail serves medium to short distances. Cities such as New York, LA, and Chicago have both systems and they feed off of each other. Although these systems may not be light rail, subway is essentially below ground light rail. We can't build subways in Austin due to the sensitivity of our water table and various underground caves. But to better prove my point, look at Dallas. Dallas has light rail (DART Rail) AND commuter rail (TRE). They work GREAT together and will continue to do so as DART expands their rail routes and services over the next 15 years.