View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 2:41 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Yep. That's exactly what I think. Take the sq footage of this development and reprogram it onto the 7-11 lot. That's my opinion. Clearly, however, I'm outnumbered on this forum as others seem to value bigger buildings over urban character.
I'm with ya'. One thing living on the East Coast for the past 6 years has made me aware of is that I don't miss some of the more myopic development trends in Chicago. Manhattan, Brooklyn and surrounding places do a fairly great job of taking the old (and ugly) and infusing these places with character while also adding a very exciting mix of fresh and contemporary architecture to the urban fabric.

Also, scale matters. It's the primary reason why I avoid midtown Manhattan like the plague (unless I'm teaching) but absolutely adore most of the human-scaled neighborhoods at the tip of the island.

I'm at a loss as to why Chicago keeps on missing on these great opportunities. At least the lakefront hasn't been tapped for development (for the sake of more $$$).