View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, no one's really come up with a better reason for piggybacking on American leagues other than "that's what we have always done".

And BTW Mister F is actually from the GTA but he still seems to see the absurdity of all of this like we do.
I don't care where Mister F is from (no offence to him), and I didn't see anybody come up with that reason.

The fact is there are no professional baseball or basketball leagues in Canada (other than the National Basketball League of Canada, which started only a couple years ago). If Torontonians who enjoy baseball or basketball want to watch those sports at their highest competitive level (or at merely a professional level) there is no alternative other than to join MLB or the NBA.

I wonder why nobody has made the same criticism of Montreal because of the Expos or of Vancouver because of the Grizzlies. The only absurd thing is implicitly denying that any other major Canadian city (including those in Quebec) would be thrilled to have a MLB or NBA team if it were possible.