View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:33 AM

Jenny Motkaluk has a surprising amount of money behind her. A lot of people that were previously Bowman supporters. If she stuck with populist stuff she'd have a good chance to win. Most of her policy announcements are nonsensical to anyone who understands how government works (example, buy more buses when the problem is funding the system day-to-day, paying and retaining drivers).

What I don't understand and haven't really been able to get anyone to fully explain to me, is why several prominent Winnipeggers decided to support her as the face of the "pro-development" side. Agree or disagree with her ideology, I don't believe she's a viable candidate. She doesn't inspire confidence in an ability to lead a city the size of Winnipeg. I can just envision a debate being a stream of 10 second talking points. Hard to believe that segment of our city does not have a better candidate to take on Bowman. For instance, someone like Browaty would make for a very tight election. I suppose it is tough for him to give up the steady councillor income all the while waiting to take a shot again at a MP job in Ottawa.

I see Bowman taking 55% of the vote, Motkaluk taking 25-30%, the rest picking up a couple percent each.