View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Taking only the Solomon curve and 85th percentile into consideration does not account for cyclists or pedestrians. To raise speed limits we need to provide better separation for cyclists from vehicles and better crossing facilities for pedestrians. The faster vehicles go the less likely they will stop for pedestrians. We should be designing most city streets for speed limits of 40 and by designing I don't just mean lowering the speed limits. This is why there are so many requests for traffic calming these days.

http://sfb.nathanpachal.com/2013/09/...-township.html

"As of today, there are 76 locations in the Township of Langley were people has requested traffic calming."

The streets shouldn't be designed to get the most traffic from point A to B but to connect all users to where they want to go.

That being said I think there are places where the speed limit could be higher, Marine Drive would be one for that stretch mentioned. Some highways could be higher as well. Highway 1 south of Yale would be a good candidate.

Highway drivers should have the same rule apply for passing cyclists as they would passing emergency vehicles, move over, slow to 70km/hr. Here is a good ad campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_IzodNazY

For in town we need to keep on emphasizing separated bike facilities. Higher speed roads with bike facilities will need to be separated more.
I strongly disagree with every point you made.

>Taking only the Solomon curve and 85th percentile into consideration does not account for cyclists or pedestrians.
It does take this in to account, the whole point of it is that people go at a safe speed, if there are pedestrians and bikes people will go slower and the 85th percentile will be lower.

>To raise speed limits we need to provide better separation for cyclists from vehicles and better crossing facilities for pedestrians.
Most roads and especially highways have good separation. Also once again this has nothing to do with the 85th percentile and the speed people naturally drive at.

>The faster vehicles go the less likely they will stop for pedestrians.
One could argue that the slower a vehicle goes, the less attention the driver pays to the road and the more attention they pay to their speedometer and looking out for speed traps. One could say that this driver is significantly more dangerous and distracted then a driver going at the speed they determine is safe for the conditions.

>We should be designing most city streets for speed limits of 40 and by designing I don't just mean lowering the speed limits.
40? I honestly don't even know what to say to this. Most city streets at 40 is way too low AND goes against all logic. The speeds on many arterial roads should be raised to 60-70, not lowered, and for other left at 50 (like say Commercial drive north of Broadway, etc.). Also something to remember is that traffic calming is making a road less safe in order to lower speeds and reduce traffic. It works only when used sparingly as part of a larger road system.

>"As of today, there are 76 locations in the Township of Langley were people has requested traffic calming."
I think we all know this means nothing. I can go tomorrow and request 100 locations for traffic calming.

>The streets shouldn't be designed to get the most traffic from point A to B but to connect all users to where they want to go.
Streets are designed to get the most users from point A to point B, that includes traffic. Right now most users drive, and the speed limits are set too low thus decreasing road safety and increasing travel times and congestion.

>Highway drivers should have the same rule apply for passing cyclists as they would passing emergency vehicles, move over, slow to 70km/hr. Here is a good ad campaign:
Once again I am lost for words. This is a horrible proposition. I fail to understand the reason for this? Why? Are people being hit left right and center? No.

>For in town we need to keep on emphasizing separated bike facilities. Higher speed roads with bike facilities will need to be separated more
I am all for separated bike infrastructure, when implemented properly. A speed limit of 100 and bikes is fine. If you get to 130 then bikes should not use that roadway unless there are wide shoulders or separation, if this is not in place then bikes should NOT be allowed on that road way / highway.