View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 10:50 AM

I can see the railway possibly being trenched or running along the median to follow the highway... but ideally that should be a long term plan to be carried out with a highway upgrade in that area. So maybe a few decades down the road sort of thing.

If engineered properly, a bypass like this should create less noise overall as there would be no level crossings and thus no train horns. Additionally, with the way railways are built these days, the tracks can be welded together to reduce wheel clicking. The terrain is by no means flat for sure but that is something that all railways have to account for in their daily operations. Heck, they managed to make it through the Rockies and up the slopes in Surrey, and this is basically peanuts in comparison.

Anyway, my point is that - strictly speaking - the engineering challenges are not as complicated as some detractors are making them up to be... Yes, cost and regional priorities will have a final say on whether this project swims or sinks (and even I think it's probably not worth the money), but it is incorrect to say that relocating the railway is impossible.