View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 2:40 AM
Citizen-at-large

You know, I actually don't have a problem with the 'stumpiness' of our CBD - I think it's somewhat attractive to have the buildings here all seem to end at a reasonably consistent height. This is part of the character of Ottawa - what sets us apart from other North American cities. There are symptoms of the stumpiness I do not like (poorly designed box-like buildings), but the fact that they all end near the same height has allowed for more density in terms of numbers of tall buildings, and a greater breadth to the skyline than in other similarly-sized cities. There is also something to be said for preserving those views that do exist both to and from the Peace Tower. To recap: I would rather have a sizeable downtown with stumpy buildings than just one or two skyscrapers.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see 30+, 40+ or even 50+ buildings in Ottawa. I just think that it would hurt the uniqueness of our city for them to be in the current CBD. I think a Secondary Central Business District, or SBD with these taller buildings could develop either at Tunney's, or even better, at the Booth Street complex and the surrounding area at Preston and Carling.