View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:31 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another architectural 'fantasia' in downtown L.A.
Clifton's Cafeteria on Olive at 6th Street.

postcard ebay
I LOVE THIS THREAD and will have more to add, soon. But I am starting with Clifton's Cafeteria because I just happened to read that they have been remodeling and are offering the public a "sneak peak" this Thursday, as part of an L.A. Art Walk. My wife and I will be going.

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/

I exchanged some emails with my mom, who grew up in L.A. I asked her if it really was "Pay As You Wish" (as is seen on the sign) and she wrote:

"Absolutely! This was emphasized on the brochures at each table. Some of the customers were poorly dressed, as I recall. The place really seemed open to all. The items were marked with a price, but there was no problem if one wanted to pay less, or not at all. We were not well off, but always paid full price. Interestingly, it was not considered a low-class place. Different areas were decorated with a theme. Hard to remember those themes, but Hawaiian would have been one, maybe the witch's house from Hansel and Gretel, maybe one which seemed to be a cave. I have fond memories of it. Corny but nice."

Again, fantastic thread. Be back soon!

Last edited by 3940dxer; Nov 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM.