View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:01 PM
A hole being Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
While I agree that this development should absolutely include and pay for the 57th Ave Station, you seem to be confusing a number of different groups here: CoV, Translink, Provincial Health Authorities, and the Province of BC.
No, I'm not. Keep asking questions if you don't understand, because I must not be explaining it in the right way, and I'd have to do a lot less ranting if facts and their significance were accepted.
  • The deal for the Canada Line is the city pays for any stations built later.
    eg Richmond has to pay for Capstan way
  • Mentioning the sale price of the Pearson lands is just to mention the scope. It's a huge project.
  • When the City approves its rezoning, it is creating a lot of buildable floor space out of thin air worth a huge amount of money at market price. The income from rezonings is supposed to stay in the same community, and be spent on a project exactly like a subway station.
  • The CoV is silently letting it be known it wants less money, or to redirect that money elsewhere. This is crazy, it goes clearly against the Greenest City Action plan they've spent hundreds of thousands in PR on.

All proposals are pre-approved by the planning department, it's a private negotiation and the open houses are a way of testing opposition. It will continue being amended privately and presented publicly until the planning department recommends it be privately withdrawn, or it goes to council and will get passed automatically. The only exception I know of right now was when retiring VV Councillor George Chow voted against the Shannon Mews giveaway.

So it is just an open-house presentation, but it is very significant. The indirect process is just how they cover their ass. If the opposition doesn't get worn down because they are not getting paid to work on the project, then the city will just say a silent majority approves, ignore all input, and it will be passed at a 2am meeting.