View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 7:33 PM

I agree with Innov8. We need some one-way streets. I rely on 19th and 21st all the time. In fact, I'll drive several blocks north or south just to get on 19th or 21st if I'm coming from I or J to my house on S. I think it's better for the environment to have cars cruising by at 30 miles per hour for 10 blocks rather than coming to a freakin stop sign at every single interesection. Plus the traffic mess it would cause during rush hour would waste that much more gas and pollute that much more atmosphere because cars are stacked bumper to bumper, needing 15 minutes to get on the freeway.

I think right now we have the perfect mix of one-way streets and two-way streets.

One-thing I will admit though- those fake trolley cars are lame. I think for a very reasonable sum, we could get an efficient bus service in midtown. Maybe, it starts just as a Thur-Sat night thing. Paint them pink or lime or whatever to make them stand out from "regular" RT buses. It's not cool to take a "regular" RT bus from Zocalo's to Ink, but if it's on a whaky midtown bus, people would be more inclined. Make it cheap and safe (put an ass-kicker on every bus if you have to) and make it so there's never more than a five minute wait at one of the many, strategically placed bus stops, and what have you got? A pub crawl on wheels. Once people are familiar with it and begin to trust it as a reliable, efficient means of getting around midtown, expand hours of operation throughout the day/week. It could even be a public/private partnership of some sort.