View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Given the location of the tower relative to the park it likely would only pose a major shadow issue in the late Fall and Winter when the Sun is setting in the Southwest or at least passing at a lower angle as it traverses through the Southwest sky. Given the height of the sun in August (when I was fervently praying for shade) I doubt this would even pose a shadow issue for Hutchinson Field which is directly adjacent to this site (I remember the sun cruising pretty high in the sky over that corner of the park).
I anecdotally agree. I play softball on lower and upper hutchinson. The sun usually sets over the Hilton Hotel in the Summer from thsoe fields (it is notbale because we always fighting the shadows in late games). This tower would cast its shadow more over the new skate park and roosevelt road...but really only for the last minutes (more?) of the day compared to other buidlings. It is not like this tower is going to block all sun all day. Actually towers like the new MILA or newish Legacy probably do more harm, casting shadows on more popular millenium park.

Using the web site SunCalc.net you can get an idea of whre the sun will set relative to a position on a map. It is not as good as a 3-d sun study, but pretty interesting.