View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:25 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Are you high?

In a city like Toronto, with it's thoroughly insipid architecture, Trump stands out like a ground-breaking architectural icon! Even if you don't like it, you can't say it's a boring box like almost all the other office towers downtown.

Toronto's skyscrapers are a barren wasteland of architectural creativity.
No I'm not high! I don't do that anymore

I'm not a big fan of all the glass boxes going up which employ 'clean simple lines'. Its been done before and done well, now its just a tired and boring form. I love set-backs, curves, sharp angles and the use of stone. That's why Scotia, Royal Bank Plaza, Shangri-la and the TD Canada Trust Tower are my favorite buildings in the city. (With L tower & Aura soon to join them, provided they stay true to the renders). But, just because I dislike glass boxes (with a few exceptions see; 4 Seasons) doesn't mean I'll automatically love all things non-box.

With Trump the promise was good but the delivery was not. Granite is a great feature for a building, unfortunately they chose the dullest looking granite available. From a distance it looks nothing more than concrete. The large blank wall on the east side is not a promising feature either. Then there's the miss-matched floors. While not being uncommon in high rises, here they are made all the more obvious by the poor choice of lime-green panels, a darker color would have been preferable. Also, its the glass which should been made to match the floor heights not the panels in-between. Given that, I don't see Trump as being a disaster but its much too flawed to be considered an icon. I simply see it as tall infill.

Now the general consensus on local forums is typically worse than that. I was mainly speaking from that perspective. I doubt that the original BAC would have incited as much disappointment/dislike as Trump has, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
nice stuff.... and yeah, proposal 3 wouldn't have been so bad, and 2 either (though the 2 design looks a bit more dated)... actually, the 3 design reminded me of aura for a split second... nonetheless, BA1 isn't all that horrible, but seeing 2 more of them will get old very fast. BA 1 fits perfectly on the skyline though both in height and design.
Oh yeah I agree. I liked the original as a stand alone version.
2 or 3 of them would be wayyyyy to much One pomo, just one.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Jun 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM.