View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
These are my thoughts. Vancouver put on the Olympics to have a good time, not to prove to London that we are a world class city. Vancouver did not go out of their way before the games started to say "Hey london! We are better than you!" Yet, that is how the British Press has reacted to our games and they feel the need to keep pointing out that, "NO Vancouver! You are not better than us!" and feel they need to criticize Canada in as many ways as possible. IMO, they just sound like the jealous angry kid from school who puts down the new kid in class because he is more popular than him, if you get my idea.
indeed. What is silly is for a very grown up city like London to smirk and look down it's nose at a fledgling city like Vancouver. The reality is, as anyone knows who lives anywhere else in the UK, London looks down at everyone there too - I used to detest hearing about London when I lived there. And if Vancouver is compared to most other cities in the UK, such as Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, etc, we truly shine and the UK knows it.

Moreover, what we lack in history and culture we make up for in bountiful surroundings. We will get more culture eventually, we'll develop transit, we will loosen up and allow for a more 'organic' night life. But London will never have skiing, lakes, beaches and Mountains.