View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:06 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Doesn't an LRT on the road also make noise?

Dont heavy rail lines also make noise?

Don't all roads make noise?

I have seriously never found the "noise" argument to be a good one.

I live near an elevated heavy rail line currently with trains passing by about once every 5 minutes. These trains are louder than skytrain and it still is not a problem at all.
Yeah this is what kind of underscores how poor the noise argument against SkyTrain is. Having a train go by every 5 minutes or so is surely not that much more noisy than having cars and trucks and traffic constantly and ceaselessly going by on Fraser Highway.

The Evergreen Line's own noise & vibration assessment noted that operating trains on an open-air guideway along roadways such as North Road and Pinetree would not increase noise above current levels:

Quote:
Key Findings:
  • Due to existing road and freight rail traffic, the environment is already fairly noisy along much of the alignment.
  • As with most major construction projects, there will be temporary noise generation from construction machinery working in the area.
  • During operations, the line is not expected to significantly increase noise above current levels at most areas.
  • During operations, noise impacts are predicted for about 15% of assessed
    buildings: high noise impacts are predicted for approximately 3% of buildings along the line, while moderate noise impacts are predicted for about 12% of buildings.
and furthermore:
Quote:
  • Vibrations from Evergreen Line operations will be lower than existing rail and road traffic vibration.
I think one of the reasons SkyTrain is seen as noisy by some is because much of the original Expo Line was not built on roadways and as such the surrounding areas are relatively quiet when there are no trains passing by. I too have lived next to the Expo Line SkyTrain viaduct (and in an area where trains are either accelerating or decelerating, not just cruising) and despite the noise and that I had previously lived in a quiet neighbourhood in Guildford, it did not bother me whatsoever.