View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 5:13 AM

Ward boundary alternatives go public

Ward boundary alternatives go public
(Hamilton Spectator, June 10 2016)

Options to rejig Hamilton's ward boundaries range from using a federal riding template to adding an extra ward on the fast-growing Mountain, a review has found.

The interim findings of the city's ongoing ward boundary review went public Thursday, kick-starting three weeks of public meetings for residents to digest the options.

Council narrowly voted to go ahead with the $270,000 review last spring to see if changes would better reflect a shifting population. Right now, populous Ward 7 has 62,000 residents while rural Ward 14 has closer to 17,000.

The consultant report does not recommend an alternative — but does call it "improbable" that the 15 ward status quo is good enough. The alternatives are grouped into four main categories:

• rearrange wards to fall within federal riding boundaries [i.e. Option 1];

• tweak versions of wards to preserve "pre-amalgamation balance" [i.e. Option 2A/B];

• reshape wards with greater emphasis on population fairness [i.e. Option 3A/B];

• add a 16th ward, likely on the Mountain [i.e. Option 4A/B/C].

The review doesn't include options like eliminating wards or carving up the map to ensure each ward has parts of the lower city, Mountain and suburbs.

The consultant says it weighed population with other council principles like preserving community identities. It also notes the old city-suburban model was "built on a deliberate balance" at amalgamation and "It is clear that many present-day Hamiltonians place significant importance on this balance."

If council wants to change ward boundaries in time for the 2018 election it will need to do so by early next year…

Check out preliminary findings of the ward boundary review. Upcoming dates:

•June 11, 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Tim Hortons Field, 64 Melrose Ave. N;

•June 14, 6-9 p.m., Mountain Arena, 25 Hester St;

•June 16, 6-9 p.m., Ancaster Rotary Centre, 385 Jerseyville Rd;

•June 17, 6-9, Westdale Secondary school, 700 Main St. W.

For a full list, visit hamilton.ca.

Here’s Watson & Associates’ City of Hamilton Ward Boundary Review Interim Report and the associated maps:

Last edited by thistleclub; Jun 10, 2016 at 5:41 AM.