View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Some thoughts/questions:

9. When did Le Chinois close? I liked that place.
I had a little look and it's still Chinese so perhaps they've just changed the name in hopes business might improve.

17. I think it still is a gay bar, but (no joke) you have to enter from the rear.
Haha...awesome.

22. Sad news about Irvings. I've bought a few suits from there, and had many alterations done, and everything's been excellent.
Aside from Morgensterns, Irvings is really the last of the clothiers that once lined James North. Neighbourhoods change. People don't buy suits like that anymore.

25. I never noticed that it says Resortaurant.
I guess the idea is customers can forego their trip to Mexico and simply pop in for a burrito at a fraction of the cost.

32. Is anything ever going to happen with that building? It's a neat looking thing, but it's just full of boxes.
It's a great building, perhaps because it's so different from others on the street. That block has been fairly derelict for the last decade. There was an arson attempt a few years back that led to the demolition of one building. There's a Chinese/Vietnamese supermarket in that block that few people know exists and a shop called White Elephant. I'd heard not too long ago that somebody had bought the Leon Furs building but nothing's happened so who knows.

40. If you haven't been to Jack & Lois yet, stop what you're doing, and go now.
I most certainly will. It's got a cool retro vibe going on inside. I believe it's closed Mondays and Tuesdays but I'm not 100% sure.
I'll take some more pics soon if I'm not feeling too lazy. I know people don't come downtown too often and appreciate the tours.