View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 1:13 AM
Transit User

Well I don't want to sound like a member of Bus drivers union but 8.5 million buys you a lot of buses instead of just esentially modernazing the railway bed. Then you have to buy trams, train drivers, build a maintanace depot, build stations and then to make this even remotely sensible you have to extend this line. That is a whole lot of money for what amounts to a tourist line.

I think that several years ago the city of Vancouver has pegged the entire cost to 60-100 million dollars. Obviously Vancouver has no money for this alone. And selling a tourist line to rest of Metro Vancouver is going to be a very tough sell. This line was not mentioned in the provincial 14 billion announcement.

As for its tranportation benefits I think they are microscopic even with the line being fully expanded to reach Stanley Park. If I live in South False Creek and want to go downtown I think I would rather jump on Canada Line and be there in 3 minutes. Stanley Park maybe, but that would be more of a weekend kind of thing.