View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanguy View Post
Illinois does appear to mirror the US average but this country is changing quite rapidly. Places that were primarily Black and White are now seeing rapid growth in their Asian and Hispanic populations and in some cases places that didn't have traditionally large Black populations are seeing a lot of growth like Hawaii (+14,000 since 2000), Utah (+12,000), Idaho (+8,000 more than doubling its Black population). Basically there are shifts going on and most states are beginning to see a balance racially.
That's very true. The Southeast (my home region) is seeing tremendous growth in all racial groups, but especially Hispanic and Asian. My point about Illinois was that it mirrors the US most closely... and might very well continue to be that way in the future: No Southern or Western state will ever be close to "average." The West has too high an Hispanic population and the South too high a black population, and both populations are increasing tremendously in their respective regions.

Illinois hasn't been an immigration "boom" state like California or Texas, but it is in no way a slacker like Ohio or Michigan, which have surprisingly low Hispanic populations given their size. Chicago is a magnet for immigrants, but there are enough black folks and white folks having babies and staying put to prevent the balance from tilting too far in any one direction.