View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:26 AM

Ugh, I knew this would turn into a highways vs. transit debate, I hate the black and white stance both sides take regarding this issue.

The basic fact is, this is our primary north south route, and it is daily reduced to a single lane in one direction, which is asinine for such a route, I can not think of any primary freeway I have been on in Japan or Europe where a direction is reduced to a single lane for no good reason in an area as populous as ours.

This not only hurts the flow of commercial traffic and non commercial drivers, but also transit as well, for as I said, even with the que jumper lanes, this tunnel still brings transit to a hault and makes crossing it very annoying (I know since I have missed a ferry before because of this).

There is no reason for a region to have a "one or the other" attitude, when implemented right, like as in Asia and Europe, a region can have the best of both worlds (transit and highways) that actually compliment each other, as I am sure we will see with the new Port Mann and rapid bus system.

Bottom line is, this tunnel needs to be replaced, for it is ridiculously inadequate for our region's current needs, and a new structure (which could be tolled) would allow for no more counter flow bullshit, better transit connections, better c/d systems, safer seismic conditions, and also bike / pedestrian access.

I fully support transit expansion, as anyone here knows I love grade separated rail such as skytrain, but I also support our region having an adequate highway system. That said, I am ok with our highways being tolled, as long as it is an even toll across the region (hence I support the idea of every water crossing being tolled $1 instead of just a few being tolled $3 or more). I also wish that the SFPR was being built as a full freeway, but at the same time was going to be a tolled access freeway (free for commercial vehicles). To me that would make a lot more sense.

FWIW - 50% of my commuting is transit (mostly skytrain), 30% is driving because there is no way I can use transit at these times, and in all honesty, I enjoy driving (where I would love some better water crossings), and 20% is cycling (when it is dry out and I don't have to wear dress clothes to where I am going).