View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Great pics, Downcity is looking sharp these days.

Providence is a gem, it packs a lot of urban punch for such a small footprint. I recently found out that the New England mafia is actually based out of Federal Hill, not Boston's North End. Which might explain why I feel Federal Hill is a bit more authentically Italian than the North End is at this point.
I have to disagree Shawn. Federal Hill , while i love it, isn't now and never was as authentically Italian as the North End, in my opinion. I know the North End is different now (sadly) but so isn't Federal Hill. A lot of my dad's family was from the North End so i've been going in since the '60's
( conversely, my mom's family was East Boston, very different Italian area) . I used to watch the feasts from my aunt's bedroom window, she lived across the street from Old North Church, 282 Salem i believe. I was a lucky guy to have been able to experience it back then. Both fantastic in their own right. I think the North End is the best "Little Italy" (dont like that moniker for the North End) in the country, i dont think it's even close. Arthur Ave in the Bronx is cool, Manhattan's is pathetic and SF's North Beach is nice but not close. Philly? love Philly, but that area not the nicest. Lots of good food places though! San Diego, surprisingly has a nice one.....I digress