View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2010, 7:29 PM
Austinite

Very cool! Just read the story in the Statesman a few moments ago...I was wondering where the other F1 racing locations were in the US... guess that answers my question. Puts us in rather select company! Where would they race? Purpose-built facility or on existing roads?

EDIT: Your article notes a purpose-built facility. Wonder where?

Statesman Article

Quote:

Mayor: Formula One is coming to Austin

By Austin American-Statesman staff
Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 02:39 PM

Formula One is coming to Austin, Mayor Lee Leffingwell says.
Leffingwell said he had a conversation with State Comptroller Susan Combs several months ago to start conversations about bringing the global racing event to Austin.

“We have been working with them ever since I first met with Susan to try to make this happen,” Leffingwell said.

According to published reports Tuesday, Austin will host an annual race from 2012 through 2021.

“This is a case of the right timing in the right place,” said Austin-based Tavo Hellmund, the managing parter of Full Throttle Productions, a special event and sports production company that was formed in 2005. “As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States.”

Last edited by Mopacs; May 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Read linked article... Purpose-built facility