View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Great tower but is anyone else a little disturbed by the site planning of Wolf point? 3 very slab like boxy masses and the salesforce tower is going to absolutely forever alter the wide open west sky that illuminates the river in summer. That constricted canyon with open west end is what makes Chicago's canyon so powerfull, this is going to take that away. I think the site planners should have gone for more height but stepped back from the point of wolf point more to keep that west view to the sky more open. I feel like this site should have been more of a rounded super tall, like the old 7 S. dearborn, the slabs are just jarring spatially.
I think the giant slabs are what distinguishes this site from the other Chicago River towers. Another rounded super tall would inevitably draw comparisons to Trump Tower.

Every other skyscraper on a bend of the river defers to the river's course. Trump Tower, Marina Towers, the Weese church, Nuveen building, all incorporate curves into their design. Even 150 N Riverside carved out its base to accommodate a riverwalk.

Then you have Salesforce Tower which openly defies the river's course. All imposing wedges and straight lines. I would argue that a lot of the Chicago river's power comes from a claustrophobic tension between the natural and the manmade, and Salesforce Tower is an excellent expression of that.

It will certainly be jarring, but not necessarily unpleasant.