View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 11:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
SOM's is stunning. It's a design that just demands attention, and for a cities tallest building, it should.

Pelli's is good, although I do agree with the similarities between 2IFC, not that that s a bad thing however.

The other tower.......isn't doing it for me. I can see where they were going with it, but it just doesn't work for me at all.

I know nothing of S.F's NIMBYs and Politics, but from the views I've read in this thread, I believe Pelli's will be picked. It's less dramatic than the SOM design, and I think the skyscraper conservatism vibe that I'm getting from S.F., by what is said in this thread, I think a less extreme design will win out.

That, and if SOM's really needs a home after the contest, I'll take SOM's in my city any day.
You are missing the fact that aesthetics may have very little to do with this decision. It's more about economics, politics, and how the "special interests" (including folks such as the AC Transit manager who sounded dubious about the SOM design) see it.