View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 4:32 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
^^^ I love those posters draped over the facade of that gem of a building that read, "New Madison Square Garden sports complex and redeveloped Penn Station." By "redeveloped," they meant butchered. Granted, I think someone said it was the railroads' fault for not investing in the building (i.e. keeping it up to standard er something along those lines). Still, the city lost a gem. Besides Phillly, Chicago, and DC to name a few classic grand stations that remain fully in tact to this day, the rest of the grand stations went either abandoned or demolished all together. Pittsburgh's union station still stands, but Amtrak moved out of there in the late 1980s and now occupies an architectural ass crack behind it. If they're serious about having Pittsburgh serve high-speed trains someday, I think they're going to need a new station. What is there now is way too small and beyond substandard. The same goes for Cleveland. Granted, neither city serves nearly as many trains or people that they did in the heyday of rail travel. I guess we could at least partially blame the decline in rail travel for the demise of some of our grand railroad stations in our larger cities...

Back to this discussion, NY Penn makes(or made) Philadelphia 30th Street look lame and pathetic! (I think that is saying something; I love 30th Street!)