View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2011, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^What could the State reasonably do right now thought to attract people to that area though? Increasing the quality of pedestrian amenities is a cheap thing that can be done so if in the future its a more active area, the infrastructure will already be in place.

There are already plans to run LRT down Jefferson connecting the Capitol to Downtown, so that'll happen eventually.

I'd love to see an actual Capitol Mall going from 7th Ave to Wesley Boilin Plaza but that would take a huge amount of money and time.

We can hope for the City to zone for more mixed use in the area, make sure future buildings are lined with retail, etc. but thats all irrelevant anyone since no buildings are going to be built any time soon.

About the only thing I can think that would really help is permitting food trucks and more cart vendors in the area so they could serve the Daytime workers down there. I'm not sure where most Capitol workers go for lunch, I assume they mostly all head to Downtown or just pack a lunch as there's very few options in the Mall area itself.
I work in the Capitol area and it's terrible - there is almost nothing to do there during lunch or after work. Most people bring in lunch, eat in the cafeteria, or drive to a fast food restaurant. Food trucks and street vendors would be a huge help.

I occasionally take the DASH bus downtown but it takes waaaaay too long during my lunch hour because it literally stops about every 1/16th to 1/8th of a mile for the (presumably) homeless people from the shelter just south of Jefferson.

Not to beat up on a group of people who obviously need the most help of all (homeless), but if you are going to have a bus specifically for employees at the Capitol Mall, then it needs to serve them well. Currently it does not.