View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:39 PM

I'm all for the renovation. I miss the days when skyscrapers have been much more than simple overregulated cash makers - when they were much more intricate on the interior, whether that intricacy meant signature glamour (like what they're trying to restore) or demand-driven grit (like barber shops on top of this beauty).

For some reason I have never been a big fan of Woolworth. Maybe it's the awkward massing that's very inappropriate for the graceful soaring tower that so many claim it is. maybe I'm just disappointed that it's on the fringe of Downtown, and getting it inside a very dense cluster would be pretty difficult (though doable). Maybe it's because the technically simple, though very ornate and delicate, sloped green roof on top of its soaring vertical white lines just looks too prosaic. however, I have always had and will have enormous admiration of the great craft that the architects put in its decoration, something that is no longer done and something that I don't see making a return.