View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
1. if we are actually experiencing peak oil then there's no reason to spend billions on a new road.
Did you not read my original post? I addressed this. It's unfathomably short-sighted to pretend that any solution to peak oil, such as other fuels, won't involve our current road system.

It's absolutely laughable that we wouldn't address our roads because "we're running out of oil".

Quote:
2. trying to limit the number of exits (to limit sprawl) would be a good idea, but political interests and whining business owners would demand an exit for every jurisdiction and every potential business park - with the result that the number of exits would be limited to about the amount of exits any regular freeway would have.
Again, as a person who stays in Portland because of how liveable it is, I'm all for addressing a balance of environmental, business and philosophical concerns, but the one thing the PDC has fallen behind in promoting is jobs. Business owners always look out for themselves first, sure, but we're adding people at over twice the rate we're adding jobs to this city.