View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 6:25 AM
Fourth and Main

I remember visiting and taking photographs of the Foothills Downtown Brewery construction site, around 10 years ago. It would be interesting to find them. I will admit to forgetting to check for updates at their latest construction site. There is so much to follow right now and that is good thing!

I may have to add the "Wake Forest University Mixed-use Entertainment Complex" to our list of projects?

Projects & Construction:

Arcade Building:
Wait... is this building still under construction? Was it labeled as "Built" too soon? Maybe so? I saw Fourth and Trade home furnishings store as open and wrongly guessed the entire building was completed. This would explain why we didn't have images of the other floors or bar or other arts related attractions.

What is the latest update on the Arcade Building? New Windows!

Credit: Wilson-Covington Construction

It appears as if only one floor is completed and open?

The bar is now open, if you would like to visit the wine & beer bar:

Credit: John Raines

I wish the building owner would hire Wilson-Covington to replace the cornice with a more accurate replica. The cornice added to this building a few years ago doesn't look right and should be replaced with something accurate, while they have a great restoration contractor working on the building. Wilson-Covington can do it right!

Union Station Transportation Hub:
This project should begin construction this week, so I will move it to the construction list! It appears as if the project will have a restaurant, train/transportation museum, local bus waiting area & ticket windows, regional transit authority ticket windows and waiting area, and will be designed for future Amtrack rail service. This is expected to be a full restoration to the original appearance. The lower two floors will be used as offices. Originally, the first floor was a mail floor and the second floor was offices for the four railroads that built Union Station. The third floor is the original ticket window and waiting area. The architect said the restoration plans are designed to add a building to the west of Union Station. In past renderings, this new building was shown as a new highrise condo tower with retail (TOD). I guess we will see what happens there? Winston-Salem is serious about having residential, retail, and office space developed around its transit stations/stops.

Union Station was designed by Fellheimer and Wagner in the Beaux-Arts style. When it was built, in 1926, it was the largest train station in the state for the state's largest and richest city. I think it's still the state's tallest train station? The restoration of this building will likely attract many train lovers to Winston-Salem to photograph it. That would be good news for this thread!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1024
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=800
Credit: David Rolfe / JournalNow

ARTivity on the Green:
Thank you to AFAS Group for providing weekly updates! We are all very excited about this project!

Credit: AFAS

Credit: AFAS

Aerial View:

Credit: Chris Kimball

Kimpton Hotel & Apartments:
An older photograph, but still interesting! Eva Leonard is a travel writer & editor who travels to find the best reuses of historic buildings. She visited Winston-Salem to see the Kimpton Hotel project.

Credit: Retro Questing

Plant 64 Apartments & Retail: Built!
This adaptive reuse of a 1916 industrial complex is now completed! It contains nearly 250 apartments and around 10,000 square feet of retail space. Philadelphia-based Pennrose worked with former NFL player (Detroit Lions) Chris Harrison to build what has to be the best apartments in downtown Winston-Salem. The best amenities in a good location at a good price. If you're interested in a downtown apartment, be sure to visit Plant 64: Call (336) 793-2282

Credit: Timmons Group

This water tower lights-up on the skyline at night:

Credit: Timmons Group

Credit: Pennrose Development

Wake Forest School of Medicine:
The university's downtown medical school has made great progress in its adaptive reuse project! Did You Know: The building was originally constructed in 1923 and was expanded in 1928. It did have an older 5-storey building in the center (guessing from around 1890-1910?), but that building was demolished around 1979 or 1980?

Credit: BioMed Realty

Credit: Flywheel

UrbanMez posted more views of the inside from last month. I want to thank him for sharing these. This is a view of history. I'm guessing most of this will be taken to the recyclers or trashed.

Credit: UrbanMez

Herbalife Building: Built!
This $100 million adaptive reuse of an 800,000 square foot building is now completed. Below is a look at scientists in Herbalife's new Winston-Salem building. They selected Winston-Salem due to how welcoming the city and its business community are. They also like how much easier it is to work with Winston-Salem, compared to other cities. If you're looking for a job: This company will hire 150 additional workers in the next few months. Herbalife also expects to grow by 25% by 2017 and create possibly another 150 jobs next year?

Credit: Andrew Dye

Salem College Apartments:

Credit: Salem College

Edge Flats:
We finally see the view from these apartments. You can see a 17-storey skyscraper across the street, along with several other medical and research institute highrises.

Credit: Edge Flats

Placemaking & Fun:

Top 30 Cities for STEM Jobs:
Winston-Salem made Wallet Hub's top 30 list of best cities to find STEM jobs. It is true! If you're looking for a job in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, Winston-Salem is a great city to move to.

1836 Brookstown Inn:
Winston-Salem's historic Brookstown Inn is on the cover of Carolina Weddings Magazine for Spring/Summer (the peak of wedding season!). The Brookstown Inn was built in 1836! Yes, it is 179 years old! Winston-Salem is awesome! #brick

Credit: Carolina Weddings

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:41 AM.