View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:41 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

500 West Fifth Street:
Wakefield Beasley & Associates was hired to design a multi-building mixed-use development at this site. This is the same architect working on the Atlanta Braves new mixed-use development. Trammell Crow (possible developer of 500 West Fifth?) hired this architect for a similar project in Greenville too. In "possible" related news, someone appears to have made an offer for the Journal site beside the 500 West Fifth site? This is one of the most exciting projects we are following right now! It will include both new construction buildings on the skyline and adaptive reuse of an existing building or two. This site has two former insurance buildings (1980 Integon Life Headquarters and 1951 Security Life & Trust Headquarters) The project could include a hotel, office space, retail, and residential.

Former 21-storey Integon Life Insurance Headquarters, by Welton Becket & Associates, to be Converted to Apartments in Mixed-use Proposal:

Credit: ClearSky

Wake Forest School of Medicine & 403@Vine Office Building:
The scaffolding is up to remove the glass blocks from the south facade of 403@Vine office building. This photograph also includes the new art tower.

Credit: Jordan Green / City Beat

Crane over the university's downtown medical school building on Saturday: (removing antique HVAC system)

Credit: Jason Thiel

Formation Design:
Famous hipster clothing designer Amanda Vaughn-Redmon has moved to downtown Winston-Salem from Philadelphia, becoming another celebrity in Winston-Salem. If you see her downtown, be sure to welcome her to Winston-Salem. Why would I post that here? Because her clothing company will share space in the currently under construction Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center. Centennial's hipster clothing manufacturing center is on our list of projects we are following. She has also just opened a clothing retail store, selling only her clothes, in downtown Winston-Salem. It's at 214 North Broad Street, in downtown's Village District. Not the best location. She should've leased in the Arts District. It's important to get the word out about her store. You've seen her designs at several upscale department stores, hipster clothing stores, and upscale boutiques... now you can visit her boutique and possibly meet her! Centennial Trading Co., Manufacturing Center should be completed soon? I didn't realize it was multi-tenant clothing manufacturing space?

National Center for Design Innovation:

Credit: kmphoto4

Credit: kmphoto4

ARTivity on the Green:
The new park's opening day is scheduled for May 2. The event will include food trucks. The Mural Wall will be an evolving canvas, with 10 mural artists painting there. The performance shelter, for music and performing arts, will have built-in benches and easels. The park is built for more than just artists. The park is also for pet owners, nearby children and the residents who live downtown. It is to be viewed as a giant piece of art.

These metal structures will be painted red:

Credit: Bill Petrie Jr.

The Edge Flats Tower Two:

Credit: Sydney Vogel

Bailey Park @ East End:
A "Bailey Park" sign was installed on the stage structure. Did they install the sign on the restroom building too? A post at WSTB said Bailey Park will officially open April 17, as a venue for the Phuzz Phest indie music festival.

Credit: Keith Hall

Semans Arts Library:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=960
Credit: Andrew Dye

760 West Fourth:
The developer is petitioning the city to close a city owned alley for this 15-storey mixed-use skyscraper. A public hearing is scheduled for March 23.

Bailey Power Plant:
This massive retail and entertainment center development is moving forward. appsdeacs at WSTB reported seeing two men in reflective vests on a cherry picker doing work. rmhpmi at WSTB reported a drone flying over the smokestacks. Last week was a very exciting week at Bailey Power Plant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB
My wife snapped this photograph earlier today.

Central Library:
Commissioners will decide on March 9 if they will authorize an 11% increase in the library project's construction budget. Please contact Kaplan and Martin and tell them you support increasing the library's construction budget!

Mast General Store:

Credit: Mast General Store

Plant 64 Apartments & Retail:
Yes, this project was recently finished, but I wanted to share a great view. This is how the outside of the building looks from the inside. A view I don't think we've seen before?

Credit: Erika Mac

Old Salem Landmark District Brick Sidewalk Repairs:
The City of Winston-Salem has awarded a $170,000 contract to Stantec Consulting Services for Old Salem sidewalk repairs. Trees have destroyed parts of this landmark district's historic brick sidewalks.

Credit: alannahbby

Plaza Building:
Workers are installing HVAC equipment in the Plaza Building. I think they are installing it on the 2nd floor? This building once shared building systems, such as HVAC and backup generators, with the Kimpton Hotel and Residences Tower, when the two buildings were part of the corporate headquarters complex for RJR Nabisco and later as the headquarters complex for Planters-Lifesavers. Now these two buildings must be separated. It's actually three buildings, if you count the Galleria as its own building. The Galleria wasn't sold to Kimpton Hotels & Resorts and will remain with the Plaza Building.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Kimpton Hotel and Residences:
The design team for this hotel includes Strada, Gensler, Theresa Fatino Design, crème, and Ohm Lighting. Those working on the project are calling it "Kimpton Hotel and Residences" at this time, so we shall do the same.

It appears as if workers are doing something inside the crown too! I would love to see a rooftop bar or restaurant.
http://i.imgur.com/NLJTqY4.jpg
Credit: JournalNow

Technology Infrastructure:
North State is expanding its fiber network in Winston-Salem. North State expects to offer gigabit speed internet, home phone, and television services in Winston-Salem in a few months. This is ultra-fast gigabit speed, which is roughly 100 times faster than what most cable broadband Internet companies offer.

Winston-Salem already has ultra-fast gigabit speed internet service from AT&T. This new service from North State will give AT&T competition and help to drive-down prices for gigabit speed internet in Winston-Salem. North State will also give Winston-Salem a third choice for cable TV, which should lower cable prices too.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:51 AM.