View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I grew up in Vernon, and hopefully will be semi- retiring there in 12 years (as soon as the S.O. qualifies for full gov't pension)

Mild and short winters with a fantastic ski hill just 35 minutes up the road, unparalleled lakes, beautiful long summers, close enough to Kelowna to be convenient but far away enough from the riff raff, 4 hour drive to Vancouver

I'm hoping we end up on a small acreage just outside of town in an area known as the BX. For $500-600k that should be easily attainable. I lived in the East Hill area of town growing up. It's easily walkable to downtown, lots of really nice older houses.. That would be where I'd look if we were to decide to live in town

Vernon has a cute little downtown that has experienced a rennaisance since I lived there. There are lots of really good restaurants. They built a piwer centre on the north edge of the city so you've got your big box stuff there. Kelowna International is less than 30 minutes away now that the highway between Vernon and Kelowna has been twinned thw whole way. Lots of biking, hiking, golf, etc..

Lots of folks like the island, it's quite nice over there but I don't think I'd want to live there full time
I also grew up in Vernon. The East Hill is definitely the neighbourhood with the most character. I don't love the town, it has its problems characteristic of poor urban planning. That being said, I think the downtown is seeing a resurgence which is great, and I hope it continues.

Silver Star is definitely a huge advantage in the winter, I think that hill is a real gem of Canadian ski resorts. Summers at the lakes are hard to beat too.