View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 10:08 PM

I knew that a few forum members (ones that I suspected) would take the argumentative asshole approach and ignore the original question completely, hence this should have been moved into the BC / Alberta sub forum section. Is it honestly that big of a stretch for some people to realize that there are those that love this country enough to be satisfied with the BC climate for retirement, because a lot sure seem to do it.

He didn't ask for your left handed input about Florida or other such places.

Now for the real answer:

If you don't mind being cut off from larger urban centres the Gulf Islands between Vancouver and Victoria are beautiful. They are far drier and sunnier than Vancouver, have very mild winters (average Dec / Jan high temps around 8 degrees) and beautiful sunshine filled summers. The foliage is also reminiscent of northern California (Arbutus trees, Garry Oaks, and open grassland bluffs everywhere).

After that Courtney / Comox north of Nanaimo is a popular retirement area.

If you like a little winter (that are much milder than most of the maritimes) with very little snow (and very early springs) then the South Okanagan is your choice, but you must be ready for very hot summers. Even in the south Okanagan there is quite a range in climate, here are two examples:

Peachland (south of Kelowna) has very mild winters and warm summers with mild overnight lows.

And then there is Osoyoos with its summer heat and super mild springs (and the warmest average annual high temp for any location in Canada).

Penticton's climate is between that of Osoyoos and Peachland and is my favorite community in the Okanagan. The south Okanagan (Kelowna south) is also left leaning politically while the North Okanagan (Kelowna north) is right leaning.

For more info, please ask me personally!

Cheers!