View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Sorry folks, but I absolutely stand by my assertion that the Rodney King disturbances were the beginning of Undergrounds downfall. I worked at Georgia Pacific Center from '89 to '96, and the change was palpable. Of course the place was busy during the Olympics, everyplace was. MARTA was routinely boarding up to a million people a day during that period. I vividly remember most of the nicer stores and restaurants pulling out of Underground shortly after the riot. I also believe the exodus of major businesses to Midtown & Buckhead was accelerated due to this.

I still say that Downtown has not looked as good as it now does in a LONG time. It is greener and cleaner than I can ever remember. The center of corporate gravity has absolutely shifted north to the Peachtree Center area, which is as vibrant as it has ever been - if not more so. We now have tons of tourists in the mix, which was unheard of back then. It used to basically be nothing but conventioneers and the daytime working population.

I will say that Georgia State has made a dramatic and welcomed impact on the general Five Points area, and the various Government entities aren't going anywhere. South Downtown is obviously in transition, but I honestly believe the future is extremely bright for all of Downtown.
You are exactly correct about the Rodney King riots being the catalyst leading to the decline of UA. I'm not sure why some people are arguing against it when it was a well-documented fact at the time. I clearly remember UA following those riots and how empty it was for months and months afterward - and most of the national brands (Gap, Structure, Limited, etc.) closing in the months immediately following the riots. The damage was done, and the decline was noticeable. Up until that time UA was known as a fun place to shop and eat, but afterwards people were skittish about security. It's factual information, but some people just love to argue.

Downtown is definitely on the upswing.

Last edited by TarHeelJ; Mar 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM.