View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 5:15 AM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
That's bizarre because I hear people bitch about our one-way mini-freeways all the time. I'm not meaning to delegitamize you in any way but I travel the grid by bike, foot, public transit exclusively. When I come up to a one-way, even with just two lanes, cars fly by inches from me going 65 like it's a freeway! Beyond being an inconvenience, it puts peoples lives at much greater risk. I agree that there needs to be a fine balance but Sac is an incredibly easy city to drive in and out of, much easier than a similar sized city like Portland. But let's face it, the suburbs wield immense power in this city as indicated by the obscene level of sprawl and they want to leave work downtown as quickly as possible so they can try to beat traffic caused by their own sprawl. Meanwhile, everyone in the urban core pays the price.
Sorry but I'm with Brandon on this one. I live in Midtown on one of the busiest one way streets and I've never heard anyone complain about this issue. Nor do I think the setup needs to be changed.

Not once have I ever been driving down a two way street and got the sudden urge to pull over and patronize a business - that's quite laughable as I almost always have a destination or place in mind before I leave. Perhaps driving down a one way street, I might miss a business if I don't know where it is exactly. But there's a very simple solution to that problem - I circle around the block and and get back to said business! I don't pack up and go home...I just don't get these so-called business owner's rationale.